Monday 15 March 2010

devonshire place names

Disclaimer: I do not mean to cause any offense or bad feeling to anyone unfortunate to live in a place with a ridiculous name, but I’m afraid I have a very juvenile sense of humour sometimes, and bizarre place names do make me giggle – sorry!

Travelling around Devon with nothing to do other than drive and listen to the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy (or my very eclectic selection of music), means that my mind has taken to amusing itself most of the time, with things that are usually either stunningly trivial (such as ‘what shall I buy on my next trip to Tesco’s?’), or wonderfully juvenile (such as ‘WTF?! That cannot be a real place name – I have to go there!’). Hence the start of my new ‘ridiculous places’ collection. My aim is simple – go to as many bizarrely named places as possible (only within Devon at this stage), and take a photograph to illustrate the awesomeness. So here are today’s highlights:

Crapstone. I would love to know how you could possibly tell someone you live in a village called CRAPSTONE, without giggling or feeling massively embarrassed and self-conscious…

SDC10084

Chipshop. At first I really didn’t think this was a village name. I really did assume that the first sign I saw was pointing me to a purveyor of tasty grease, but as I drove around it did eventually dawn on me that this place was actually a real village called CHIPSHOP. Wow. Just wow. I really don’t know if it’ll get much odder than this one – perhaps it has some odd pronunciation so that you can make it sound less like you live above ‘The Codfather’ in Luton…

 SDC10082

No comments:

Post a Comment